Wednesday, July 9, 2014

24 Hours of a Lifetime

      The words of Ellis Jones, Super Senior:

          My experience visiting Morry's Camp was incredibly enlightening. After swimming and running laps for six years, finally being able to see where the money goes was a very enticing idea. And it was exactly and the exact opposite of what I had expected. First off the unbelievably welcoming and warm feel of the camp threw me for a loop. Whether it was a "Hello Southwoods!!" while walking through the soccer field, a friendly wave while touring the camp or even just a simple dance battle during dinner when the Super Senior Boys showed off an intense display of Baritone in a spectacular rendition of Billy Joel's "For the Longest Time". Everyone welcomed us with open arms and never before at a visiting camp have I felt so at home.


           Secondly at Morry's there is an incredible sense of community. Everybody knows everyone, everyone helps everyone, and most importantly everyone includes everyone. It is a real home to everyone there and everyone is grateful for it. Also I noticed a wide sense of diversity at Morry's between both the counselors and campers. There are people from different backgrounds and different places all with a desire to enjoy the camp experience.




             
   However it also had many things that I had anticipated such as basketball, a lake, fun counselors and passionate campers. The BBQ dinner was delicious and the campfire that followed had all the makings of a Southwoods party; fun songs, warm smores, and a safe distance between boys and girls. I also loved how Morrys offered learning options to its campers and offered the resources to learn that many of them don't have at home.


           Lastly, and most importantly my visit to Morry's reignited my love for camp. To the kids there its more than just a place to spend the summer, its a place to grow, to learn, to break out of your shell and to most valuably of all call home. As someone who has been given this gift for now seven years its easy to forget how valuable it truly is and how much the camp experience changes you. But it was these kids that simply loved that they get to go to camp that reminded me how much my seven years of camp helped me become the kid I am today.



1 comment: